Quicklinks:

On-call duties:

Erlebnisheimat Erzgebirge
Regionalmanagement Erzgebirge

Excerpt from the chronicles of Königswalde

Königswalde derives its particular charm from the extensive hedge structures and its large number of well-preserved half-timbered houses. In the eastern part the farms are located on the sides of the hills which is typical for a 'Waldhufendorf' (string village with long narrow fields cut back into the forest behind each new holding), the predominant type of village in this area.

 

Königswalde has developed from two former settlements. The stream Pöhlbach was the border between the eastern and the western part of the village which presumably became populated separately.

 

  • Around 1200 the settlement east of the Pöhlbach, which was named Lichtenhain, was founded by the House of Waldenburg on Wolkenstein.
  • 1291 Lichtenhain was first mentioned in the records.
  • Around 1250 the western side the so-called 'Amtsseite' (authority side) developed. It belonged to the Bohemian King Wenzel, presumably as part of the belongings of Castle Schlettau.
  • 1367 An imperial deed calls the authority side 'Kunigswald'.
  • 1413 The western side became part of the monastery of Grünhain.
  • Second half of the 15th century Operation of a copper forge.
  • 1512 Paul von Thumshirn purchased the eastern side and sold it to the Municipal Council of Annaberg, therefore this part was renamed into 'Ratsseite' (council side).
  • 1523 Construction of a church on the council side, which was at first a subsidiary church of the Mildenau Parish.
  • 1536 The western side fell under the government authority of Grünhain – 'authority side'.
  • 1536 The Council of Annaberg had the mill 'Brettmühle' erected.
  • 1573 There are nine operative mills in Königswalde. The village has 700 inhabitants.
  • 1907 Former mills are used by small industrial works. Many labourers commute to Annaberg, Buchholz, Bärenstein or Jöhstadt for work.
  • 1924 The settlers' cooperative laid the foundation stone for the housing estate.
  • 1945 Due to the land reform 27 hectares of land were redistributed among 14 farmers.
  • 1945-1954 Quartering of up to 780 miners of the Soviet-German company SDAG Wismut.
  • 1949 3,299 inhabitants, 500 of them accommodated.
  • 1958 Foundation of the first collective farm which later merged into one large agricultural enterprise (today farmer's cooperative / Agrargenossenschaft e.G.).

 

The name 'Königswalde' (King's Wood) dates back to the 14th century when Heinrich IV., much to the chagrin of the Saxons, left the Margraviate of Meißen to the Bohemian King. When Franconian immigrants now entered his forest people called out to them: "This wood is not Margravian nor is a Meißen Wood, it is the 'King's Wood'.

 

The shrub-covered stone walls that can still be made out on the slopes of farmland in Königswalde are signs that the land was seized by the immigrated settlers. Those men who tried to set up new villages at that time were called locators. They were entrepreneurs who, by order of a lord or a large-scale landowner, recruited people from the west that wished to emigrate. They cleared the forest together in the new homeland and each settler was assigned a piece of land big enough to feed himself and his family. Such piece of land was called 'Hube' (derived from 'heben' – meaning to reclaim land) or –'Hufe'. The German surname Hübner can be traced back to the possession of such 'Hube'.

 

Königswalde is one of the most prominent Waldhufendorf-type villages in the Ore Mountains.

zur mobilen Version